Children have a huge impact on our lives, but we can also impact their lives in very significant ways from the first day that they are born and we give them a name. You get to choose what your child will be called for the rest of their lives! This is a great responsibility, which many parents find daunting. We can help you choose one from our selected list of unique girl names for your little princess, that will grow up with her and stay relevant, yet different forever.
TRENDS IN UNIQUE GIRL NAMES FOR 2016
Three trends are clearly visible with feminine names in 2016, at least in the unique names. These trends are names from nature, early 1900s names returning, and location naming. You can see examples of each of these in our list below as well as some names that don’t follow any trend at all as of yet. Whatever the case, you can be sure that these names are not currently ranked highly in English speaking countries around the world. They have not been featured within the top 100 most popular names in any English speaking countries for years, and in the US many of these name rank lower than 900 (1 being most popular with higher number indicating less popularity).
NATURE NAMES TREND
A very common trend for not only the unique girl names of 2016 but also some of the popular ones is to name your baby girl after some part of nature. This can be Lunge in our list of examples with names like Rose, Iris, Lily, Poppy, Daisy, Aurora (Aurora Borealis, the Northern Lights), Ruby, Willow, and Hazel. All of these names are taken from natural things and used as given names for children instead.
EARLY 1900s NAMES TRENDING AGAIN
Some names that were popular many years ago are coming back to show their face as the most unique girl names of 2016. Names such as Maude, Ingrid, Genevieve, Penelope, Eleanor, Beatrice, Lola, and Clementine were all at least somewhat popular in the early 1900s but have mostly lost their popularity since those days. They might show a surge in usage in the coming years, although for now they are resting as some of the most unique, yet usable and appropriate baby girl names in 2016.
LOCATION NAMING TRENDS OF A UNIQUE NAME FOR GIRL BABIES
Just as location naming (Places Names) can be seen in popular names and boy’s names, you can find many unique girl names that also follow the location naming trend. Adelaide, Isla, and Eden are all names taken from a specific location in the world.
NAME MEANING TRENDS FOR 2016
When you read through this list, you can see that many of the names present on our list have the same or very similar meanings. Whether this is intentional or not, it seems to be a trend with many of the unique girl names for 2016 that they will have meanings that are similar. Adeline, Adelaide, Khaleesi, Ada, and Wren all hold the meaning “nobility” or “ruler”, while the names Aurora, Thea, and Freja refer to a goddess-like woman.
UNIQUE NAMES FOR GIRLS OF CELEBRITIES – 2016
What have celebrities been naming their baby girls in late 2015 and early 2016? You’ll be happy to know that while some famous people are generally known for ridiculous or wild names, many of them have chosen more reasonable, yet still unique names such as the ones on our list below. Check out some of the most unique celebrity baby girl names lately:
- Adelaide Rose, daughter of Rachel Griffiths and Andrew Taylor
- Arabella Rose, daughter of Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner
- Ava Berlin, daughter of Jeremy Renner and Sonni Pacheco
- Beatrice Jean, daughter of Bryce Dallas Howard and Seth Gabel
- Clementine Jane, daughter of Ethan Hawke and Ryan Shawhughes
- Daisy True, daughter of Meg Ryan
- Evelyn Rose, daughter of Carey Mulligan and Marcus Mumford
- Harper Willow, daughter of Dave Grohl and Jordyn Blum
- Hazel Patricia, daughter of Julia Roberts and Danny Moder
- Krishna Thea, daughter of Padma Lakshmi
- Lily-Rose Melody, daughter of Johnny Depp and Vanessa Paradis
- Lola Grace, daughter of Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos
- Lola Ray, daughter of Jennie Garth and Peter Facinelli
- Mabel Painter, daughter of Chad Lowe and Kim Painter
- Nova Reign, daughter of Catelyn Lowell and Tyler Baltierra
- Olive, daughter of Drew Barrymore and Will Kopelman
- Penelope Athena, daughter of Tina Fey and Jeffrey Richmond
- Poppy Louise, daughter of Jenna Bush and Henry Hager
- Ramona, daughter of Maggie Gyllenhaal and Peter Sarsgaard
- Stella Busina, daughter of Dave and Ashley Matthews
FIND THE MOST UNIQUE GIRL NAME FOR YOUR BABY
TOP 50 UNIQUE GIRL’S NAMES
- Isla (“River in Scotland”)
- Ava (“Bird, living one”)
- Cora (“Maiden”)
- Eleanor (“Shining light”)
- Penelope (“Bobbin”)
- Evelyn (“Hazelnut”)
- Adeline (“Pleasant, of nobility”)
- Adelaide (“Nobility”)
- Aurora (“Goddess of the dawn”)
- Arabella (“Yielding to prayer”)
- Khaleesi (“Ruler”)
- Rose (“A type of flower”)
- Lily (“A type of flower”)
- Genevieve (“Of the race of women”)
- Beatrice (“Bringer of joy”)
- Esme (“Esteemed, loved”)
- Matilda (“Might, strength”)
- Aria (“Intelligence of an eagle”)
- Iris (“A type of flower”)
- Mila (“Gracious, dear”)
- Thea (“Goddess, godly”)
- Sophia (“Wisdom, wise”)
- Hadley (“From the heath covered meadow”)
- Nova (“Chases butterflies”)
- Ruby (“A red gemstone”)
- Clementine (“Clemency, mercy”)
- Poppy (“A type of flower”)
- Harper (“Harp player”)
- Eden (“Delight”)
- Olive (“An olive fruit”)
- Piper (“One who plays the pipe”)
- Willow (“Slender, graceful”)
- Emmeline (“Industrious”)
- Lola (“Sorrow”)
- Ada (“Nobility”)
- Gemma (“A gemstone”)
- Daisy (“A type of flower”)
- Zoe (“Life, alive”)
- Florence (“Blossoming, to flower”)
- Mabel (“Beautiful, loving, lovable”)
- Astrid (“Divine Strength”)
- Freja (“Norse goddess of Love”)
- Lena (“Torch”)
- Hazel (“A type of tree or a color”)
- Ramona (“Protecting hands”)
- Wren (“Ruler”)
- Stella (“Star”)
- Maude (“Powerful battler”)
- Rae (“Grace”)
- Ingrid (“Beautiful”)
Click to see our Full List of Unique Names and Meanings.
See our List of Unusual Names and Meanings.
See our wide List of Rare Names and Meanings.
If you’re not sure yet, check our Baby Name Categories.
Is your name Unique ? Add it to the comments below!