What does the name Mehmet mean?The meaning of the name “Mehmet” is:
Additional information: The Muslim boy name Mehmet is a Turkish form of MUHAMMAD. A variation of the Arabic name of the prophet and founder of Islam.
Many sultans of the Ottoman Empire were named Mehmed , which is the old form of Mehmet.
Mehmed Celebrity Names & Famous real-life people:
- Mehmet Ağar (born 1951), Turkish former police chief
- Mehmet Akgün (born 1986), Turkish-German footballer
- Mehmet Al (born 1983), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Altan (born 1953), Turkish economist, columnist, and writer
- Mehmet Altınsoy (1924–2007), Turkish politician
- Mehmet Arif (disambiguation)
- Mehmet Aslantuğ (born 1961), Turkish actor
- Mehmet Aydın (born 1943), Turkish politician
- Mehmet Aziz (malariologist), Cypriot malariologist
- Mehmet Aurélio (born 1977), Brazilian-born Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Batdal (born 1986), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Boztepe (born 1988), Turkish-German footballer
- Mehmet Bölükbaşı (born 1978), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Budak (born 1980), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Cavit Bey (1875–1926), Turkish economist
- Mehmet Cesur (born 1982), Turkish Paralympian goalball player
- Mehmet Çetingöz (born 1991), Turkish wheelchair basketball player
- Mehmet Eren Boyraz (born 1981), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Emin (disambiguation)
- Mehmet Emin Toprak (disambiguation)
- Mehmet Esat Bülkat (1862–1952), Ottoman general
- Mehmet Çakır (born 1984), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Cansun (born 1947), Turkish businessman
- Mehmet Cemaleddin Efendi (1848–1917), Turkish judge
- Mehmet Çoban (1905–1969), Turkish wrestler
- Mehmet Çoğum (born 1983), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Coral (born 1947), Turkish novelist
- Mehmet Culum (born 1948), Turkish novelist
- Mehmet Dinçer (born 1924), Turkish former footballer
- Mehmet Dragusha (born 1977), Albanian footballer
- Mehmet Durakovic (born 1965), Australian footballer
- Mehmet Ebussuud el-İmadi, Ottoman jurist
- Mehmet Ekici (born 1990), German footballer
- Mehmet Ergen, Turkish theatre director
- Mehmet Eroğlu (born 1948), Turkish novelist
- Mehmet Eymür (born 1965), Turkish intelligence official
- Mehmet F. Celebi, American activist
- Mehmet Ferda (born 1963), British actor
- Mehmet Fuat Köprülü (1890–1966), Turkish politician
- Mehmet Güney (born 1936), Turkish judge
- Mehmet Günsür (born 1975), Turkish actor
- Mehmet Güreli (born 1949), Turkish writer
- Mehmet Gürs (born 1969), Turkish chef
- Mehmet Güven (born 1987), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Hacıoğlu (born 1959), Turkish former football coach
- Mehmet Haberal (born 1944), Turkish surgeon
- Mehmet Hakkı Suçin, Turkish author
- Mehmet Hetemaj (born 1987), Finnish footballer
- Mehmet Vehib Kaçı, Ottoman general
- Mehmet Kaplan (born 1971), Swedish politician
- Mehmet Kara (born 1983), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Sarper Kiskaç (born 1990), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Konica, Albanian politician
- Mehmet Kurtuluş (born 1972), German actor
- Mehmet Kutay Şenyıl (born 1987), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Leblebi (1908–1972), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Mehdi Eker, Turkish politician
- Mehmet Müezzinoğlu (born 1955), Turkish physician, politician, and Minister of Health
- Mehmet Murat Somer (born 1959), Turkish author
- Mehmet Nas (born 1979), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Niyazi (1878–1931), Romanian and Crimean Tatar poet
- Mehmet Okonsar (born 1961), Turkish-Belgian pianist
- Mehmet Okur (born 1979), Turkish basketball player
- Mehmet Oktav (1917–1996), Turkish wrestler
- Mehmet Oz (born 1960), Turkish-American physician
- Mehmet Özal (born 1978), Turkish wrestler
- Mehmet Özdilek (born 1966), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Özhaseki (born 1957), Turkish politician
- Mehmet Ozyurek (born 1949), Turkish world record holder
- Mehmet Polat (born 1978), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Sabancı (1963–2004), Turkish businessman
- Mehmet Scholl (born 1970), Turkish-German footballer
- Mehmet Sedef (born 1987), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Şimşek (born 1967), Turkish politician
- Mehmet Şenol Şişli, Turkish musician
- Mehmet Shehu (1913–1981), Albanian politician
- Mehmet Tahsini (1864–?), Albanian politician
- Mehmet Tanrısever (born 1953), Turkish film producer
- Mehmet Tarhan (born 1978), Turkish activist
- Mehmet Tillem, Australian politician
- Mehmet Toner (born 1958), Turkish biomedical engineer
- Mehmet Topal (born 1986), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Topuz (born 1983), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Türkmehmet (born 1980), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Yağmur (born 1987), Turkish basketball player
- Mehmet Yıldız (born 1981), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Yılmaz (disambiguation)
- Mehmet Yılmaz (footballer born 1988), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Yılmaz (footballer born 1979), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Yankı Yönel (born 1976), Turkish voice actor
- Mehmet Yozgatlı (born 1979), Turkish footballer
- Mehmet Zafer Çağlayan (born 1957), Turkish politician,
Considering Mehmet as a Baby Name?
The first thing you should know if you are considering Mehmet for your baby's name is that in most countries all over the world the name Mehmet is a boy name.
The name Mehmet is of Turkish origin, and is used in more than one countries and different languages of the world, especially Arabic speaking countries, Turkish speaking countries among others.
If you consider naming your baby Mehmet we recommend you take note of the special meaning and history of the name as your baby’s name will play a big role in its life and your baby will hear it spoken every day. Searching for a name is a very important and fun process as it’s the very first gift you will give to your baby. Many people believe that the name can affect success in life, through their children's working career and other circumstances, so they choose more “respectable” names or name meanings as they believe that the name meaning reflects the personality of the child.
Mehmet Name Meaning
The meaning of Mehmet is “Praiseworthy”. Keep in mind that many names may have different meanings in other countries and languages, so be careful that the name that you choose doesn’t mean something bad or unpleasant. Search comprehensively and find the name meaning of Mehmet and its name origin or of any other name in our database. Also note the spelling and the pronunciation of the name Mehmet and check the initials of the name with your last name to discover how it looks and sounds. The history and meaning of the name Mehmet is fascinating, learn more about it. (If you know more meanings of the name and you would like to contribute click here to submit another name meaning).
Hey! How’s your love life going lately? Get a free love reading & personal horoscope
with the most truthful answers. Start to grab every chance for success in your life! Did I mention it’s FREE?
(Sponsored Link; 18+ only)
Name Mehmet Categories
The name Mehmet is in the following categories: Arabic Names, Muslim Names, Turkish Names. (If you would like to suggest one or more categories for the name, click here). We have plenty of different baby name categories to search for special meanings plus popular and unique names, search our database before choosing but also note that baby name categories designed to help you and not to be an influential factor when choosing a name. Instead, we recommend that you pay a greater attention to the origin and meaning of the name Mehmet. Read our baby name articles for useful tips regarding baby names and naming your baby. If you are thinking of giving your baby the beautiful name Mehmet, spread the love and share this with your friends.
Popularity of the Name Mehmet
Below you will find the popularity of the baby name Mehmet displayed annually, from 1880 to the present day in our name popularity chart. Hover over or click on the dots that represent a year to see how many babies were given the name for that year, for both genders, if available.
Mehmet Boy Name Popularity Chart
If you’re not sure yet, see our wide selection of both boy names
and girl names
all over the world to find the ideal name for your new born baby. We offer a comprehensive and meaningful list of popular names
and cool names
along with the name's origin, meaning, pronunciation, popularity and additional information.
Do your research and choose a name wisely, kindly and selflessly.
Our research is continuous so that we can deliver a high quality service; our lists are reviewed by our name experts regularly but if you think the information on this page is incorrect or incomplete, please let us know. Use our contact form
to submit your suggestions, or leave your comment below.
Didn't find what you were looking for?
If you liked what you read, please share it. It really helps us a lot.