For girls around the world, a name is part of the very fabric of identity. Not only does it convey beauty, but confidence and character can be displayed in a name as well. Names of heroines from the past or beautiful things around the world can hold a special meaning for the new girl you have brought into the world. So, keep on reading to find 50 of the most unique girl names 2017 and pick the one you love.
Why Are Unique Girl Names Special?
When you’re choosing a name for your new baby girl, a unique girl name might be the best choice you could make. These are names that you won’t find all over the place. As she grows up, she won’t feel lost in a sea of people without anything to distinguish her from everyone else. Giving your daughter a unique name is giving her a gift that will last for her entire lifetime, and it will keep on giving.
Trends in Unique Girl Names 2017
Many unique girl names 2017 are unisex names that are also unique boy names. This has been a growing trend since 2010 when unisex names began to gain more popularity. In 2015, Harper is a unique girl name that was ranked as the 10th most popular name in the US, representing a sudden spike in popularity since the name showed up as 884th most popular in 2004. Quinn, Emery, Lennon, Rowen, and Finn are also unisex names.
Another trend you can see in 2017 is names ending in the letter “a”. These names roll off the tongue easily and can pair well with a lot of middle and last names. Examples are Alma, Corinna, Luella, Anja, Thea, Camilla, Freya, and Layla.
History of Unique Names for Girls
Something many parents look for in a unique name for girl choice is a name with significance and historical value. Many of the names on our list are not just simple word names with meanings, but have some sort of important role attached to them in literature, religion, or in history. Names like Athena, Thea, Layla, and Dinah have religious significance while Esme, Luella, and Ophelia have literary meaning.
Other names on our list are not used as names for people in history, but are words from old languages that carry their meanings over into today’s world. These are usually names related to nature, such as Willow, Luna, Rosalind, Calla, Hazel, and Winter.
Celebrities that Made Unique Girl Name Choices
It’s common to see celebrity couples give their children outrageous names, but many of them are more subdued and reserved as well. A lot of celebrities know their daughters will be receiving more attention than usual as they grow up, so they really think through the name they give their daughter. Here are some of our favorites from celebrity couples, including a lot of the names on our list:
- Harper, daughter of Neil Patrick Harris
- Clementine, daughter of Ethan Hawke
- Emery Hope, daughter of Angie Harmon
- Arlo, daughter of Johnny Knoxville
- Finley, daughter of Lisa Marie Presley
- Esme Olivia, daughter of Eric Christian Olsen
- Luna Simone Stephens, daughter of John Legend
- Winter, daughter of Nya Lee
- Remi McKenna, daughter of Chris Lucas
- Amalia, daughter of Natalie Portman
What Makes Your Girl Special…
At the end of the day, a name alone doesn’t make your girl who she is. She has her own personality, character, and spirit to grow into as the years pass by. Whatever name you choose, make sure she can grow into is and continue to proudly wear it as she moves through the stages of her life. Find below our list with the 50 most unique girl names 2017 and pick your favorite one.
Top 50 Most Unique Girl Names 2017 List
- Alma (Latin name meaning “Kind, fostering, and nourishing”)
- Corinna (Greek name meaning “Maiden”)
- Elora (Hebrew name meaning “God is light”)
- Clementine (French name meaning “Mercy, clemency”)
- Luella (Probable Welsh name meaning “Famous Elf”)
- Laurel (Latin name, a type of tree)
- Rosalind (Latin name meaning “Beautiful rose”)
- Winnie (Welsh name meaning “Fair one”)
- Aerin (Hebrew name meaning “Enlightened”)
- Alasdair (Gaelic name meaning “Defender of man”)
- Anja (Sanskrit name meaning “Inexhaustibility”)
- Bette (Greek name meaning “Oath of God”)
- Emery (German name meaning “Brave, powerful”)
- Chanel (American given name from the French surname meaning “Pipe”)
- Camilla (Latin name meaning “Free-born, noble”)
- Bexley (Old English name meaning “Woodland clearing”)
- Effie (English name meaning “Well spoken”)
- Farrah (Arabic name meaning “Happy”)
- Ophelia (Greek name meaning “Help”)
- Sia (Swedish name meaning “Victory”)
- Seraphina (Hebrew name meaning “Fiery-winged”)
- Zariah (Slovic goddess of the dawn, or an Arabic name meaning “Blooming flower”)
- Yvette (French name meaning “Yew, archer”)
- Thea (Greek name meaning “Goddess, godly”)
- Quinn (Gaelic name meaning “Wisdom, reason, intelligence”)
- Rayna (Bulgarian name meaning “Queen”)
- Naya (Arabic name meaning “New”)
- Layla (Arabic name meaning “Night”)
- Hadley (English name meaning “From the heath covered meadow”)
- Analia (Spanish name meaning “Grace, favor”)
- Braelyn (Irish name meaning “Strong”)
- Calla (Greek name meaning “The most beautiful”)
- Dinah (Hebrew name meaning “Avenged”)
- Willow (English name meaning “Slender, graceful”, a type of tree)
- Athena (Greek name, possibly meaning “Praise”)
- Esme (Dutch name meaning “Esteemed, loved”)
- Mae (French name meaning “May”)
- Serenity (English name meaning “Tranquility”)
- Aurora (Roman goddess of the dawn)
- Adara (Greek name meaning “One who is beautiful”)
- Lennon (Gaelic name meaning “Lover”)
- Harper (English name meaning “One who plays the harp”)
- Hazel (English name meaning a type of tree and nut)
- Freya (Scandinavian name meaning “Lady”)
- Rowen (Celtic name meaning “Little red one”)
- Amina (Arabic name meaning “Trustworthy”)
- Lilith (Hebrew name meaning “Night monster, storm goddess”)
- Sasha (Russian name meaning “Defender of mankind”)
- Winter (Teutonic name meaning “Renewal” or “Rebirth of spring”)
- Luna (Latin name meaning “Moon”)
Click to see our Full List of Unique Names and Meanings.
See our List of Unusual Names and Meanings.
See our wide List of Rare Names and Meanings.
If you’re not sure yet, check our Baby Name Categories.
Is your name Unique ? Add it to the comments below!
Related Articles about Baby Names:
One of the most exciting tasks facing expecting parents is choosing a name....
Topping the chart again for top baby names 2016, for boys, are Noah #1 and ...
American names once use to be so simple and plain. But American names seem ...
With the vast array of names in the many languages of this world, it can se...