THE BIG APPEAL OF INTERNATIONAL BOY NAMES
While a lot of parents like to give names that are common to their country or names that run in the family, there are many of us who also enjoy giving our child an international boy name that is not common in our home countries. International names are sometimes very common in the countries of their origin, but have not gotten wide use around the world. This makes them unique and gives your child something special from you as they grow up. Keep on reading to find the 50 most unique International boy names from around the world with meanings.
HISTORY OF INTERNATIONAL BABY BOY NAMES
International naming is not really a new concept for parents around the world. In many cases, international baby boy names were given as a reminder of the somewhere the child was from, as a way to honor someone special, or as a connection to the heritage of the child. In the US this seems to be a particularly common trend starting from the 2000s and moving onwards, as there are more inter-cultural marriages and parents than ever before in the country.
Not all international boy names are given because of a specific cultural heritage. As the world population increases, some parents have started to see a value in giving their children names that will stand out from the rest of the crowd. Baby boys have been given names from around the world of people that are admirable, as well as names that are popular internationally as a way for them to have something that sets them apart from other kids early on.
TRENDS IN INTERNATIONAL BABY BOY NAMES
Spotting trends in this category of names can be difficult, as there are many different names used which are considered international. International names for boys that are seeing a shift in popularity to English speaking countries from their origins. This includes names like Hill, Barnaby (ranked 199th in England & Wales), Lars (ranked 27th in Belgium and 19th in Netherlands), Boaz (ranked 44th in Netherlands), Teo (ranked 44th in Croatia, 51st in Slovenia), and Gabriel (ranked 24th in the US, 12th in Belgium, 7th in France, 4th in Switzerland, and 43rd in Canada).
CELEBRITIES WHO GAVE THEIR BABY BOYS INTERNATIONAL NAMES
It can be difficult to find international boy names used by a variety of celebrities, but there are some who have chosen to give their sons a non-traditional international name. Here are a few of our favorites that we found, some of which are not on the list of international boy names below:
- Leighton Meester and Adam Brody named their son Arlo Day Brody
- Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale named their son Apollo
- Megan Fox and Brian Austin Green have one son whose name is Bodhi, a more common Indian name
- Kate Hudson and Matt Bellamy gave their son the name Bingham Hawn Bellamy
- Toni Braxton and Keri Lewis gave their second son the name Diezel, a spinoff of some other common international boy names
- Robert Downey Jr. and Deborah Falconer have a son named Indio Falconer Downey
- Mike Tyson and Lakiha Spicer Tyson decided to name their son Morocco Elijah Tyson
- Jennifer Connelly and Paul Bettany have a son named Agnes Lark Bettany
- Julia Roberts and Daniel Moder chose the name Phinnaeus Walter for their son, a name which is not very common to the US
- Cate Blanchett and Martin Upton named their son Ignatius Martin Upton
[Read: Unique Baby Names]
WHY AN INTERNATIONAL NAME CAN BE A GREAT CHOICE FOR YOUR BOY
International names for boys are almost always unique to the country you are living in, which gives them a certain appeal. Your son might feel a special connection with a different area of the world, or the earth in general when he grows up with a name that is not from his home country. Giving your son an international name might encourage him to one day go out and see the world to learn more about what his name means and where it came from. Below you will find the list with the most cool boy names from around the world.
50 INTERNATIONAL BOY NAMES LIST
- Serge (Meaning: Servant)
- Maxfield (Meaning: Field belonging to Mack)
- Ludovic (Meaning: Famous warrior)
- Hill (Meaning: Someone who lives by a hill)
- Grover (Meaning: Grove dweller)
- Haji (Meaning: Born during the pilgrimage)
- Garian (Meaning: Named after a location)
- Kato (Meaning: Pure, unsullied)
- Rupert (Meaning: Bright fame)
- Barnaby (Meaning: Son of consolation)
- Fergus (Meaning: Virility)
- Crispin (Meaning: Form of the name Crispus)
- Harvey (Meaning: Blazing)
- Christoffel (Meaning: Christ bearer)
- Lazarus (Meaning: God is my help)
- Nero (Meaning: Strong, vigorous)
- Marius (Meaning: Male)
- Cosmo (Meaning: Order, decency)
- Luciano (Meaning: Light, illumination)
- Lars (Meaning: Form of Lawrence)
- Adriano (Meaning: Of the Adriatic)
- Denzel (Meaning: A location in Cornwall)
- Rumo (Meaning: Red, he who announces the spring)
- Keyne (Meaning: fighter; sharp)
- Boaz (Meaning: Swiftness)
- Teo (Meaning: God)
- Dmitri (Meaning: Earth lover)
- Arjun (Meaning: White, clear)
- Kristof (Meaning: Christ bearer)
- Cluny (Meaning: From the meadow)
- Peru (Meaning: Location name for the country Peru)
- Magnus (Meaning: Greatest)
- Arlo (Meaning: Fortified hill)
- Gabriel (Meaning: God is my strong man)
- Rufus (Meaning: Red-haired)
- Octavius (Meaning: Born eighth)
- Remus (Meaning: Founder of Rome)
- Tiberius (Meaning: of the Tiber)
- Henrik (Meaning: Rules an estate)
- Claus (Meaning: Short form of Nicholas)
- Ivan (Meaning: Gracious gift from God)
- Simeon (Meaning: He that hears or obeys, he that is heard)
- Maksim (Meaning: The greatest, wonderful, magical, charming, God miracle maker)
- Feodor (Meaning: Divine gift)
- Julian (Meaning: Youthful, jovial child)
- Dougal (Meaning: Black, stranger)
- Baird (Meaning: Bard)
- Knox (Meaning: From the hills)
- Javier (Meaning: New house)
- Artemus (Meaning: Follower, gift of Artemis)
Are you looking for another category of names ?
Click to see our Full List of Unique Names and Meanings.
See our List of Unusual Names and Meanings.
See our wide List of Rare Names and Meanings.
If you’re not sure yet, check our Baby Name Categories.
Is your name International or Global? Add it to the comments below!
Related Articles about Baby Names:
Christmas is one of the most joyous times of the year. During this time of ...
Choosing the ideal name for your baby. What to consider when picking a baby...
Topping the chart again for top baby names 2016, for boys, are Noah #1 and ...
Every single day around the world, new babies are born. Some have names bef...